• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Hackers take down PSN by accident

baracksyndel

So we all know that for funsies hackers have been messing with Sony for...whatever reason. Well members of the group DERP (first I'm hearing of them) have taken down PSN for a lot of people while they were messing with Planetside 2. Apparently DERP has been messing with a lot of gamng servers because they can and according to them they didn't mean to take down PSN.

DERP Shuts Down PSN

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
Haha, it's funny to hear of a hacker group called "DERP" of all things taking down something by accident. Derp herp, indeed!

SpaceTiger

Sony just gets the brunt of the news when hacking happens on PSN. That said, you'd think EA/Origin would be number one on their collective lists when it comes to harassing a gaming entity. In this case, it begs two questions:

How did they manage to take down PSN if they were originally aiming for a small target in Planetside 2 and why Planetside 2?

mauricioq

That can't be accidental.
I'm pretty sure they always aimed for the PSN. This group "derp" have already attacked steam, League of Legends, Origin, among others.
They're actually skilled, which is bad.

CpmPanda

What the hell? That's like saying; "Oops, I meant to park my car in the parking lot, not inside the building" then again... that actually happens so touche lol

Stuck_X_Button

That can't be accidental.
I'm pretty sure they always aimed for the PSN. This group "derp" have already attacked steam, League of Legends, Origin, among others.
They're actually skilled, which is bad.
I would've gotten a laugh out of them sucking at hacking, but stumbling ass backwards into taking down large networks.

mark

You should really look more into it before posting... DERP is a group of kids that are in no way "hackers". I read about it on hackforums, someone even got one of their real info's and confirmed they are children. How is that possible? Everyone can buy a RAT and infect a few thousand computers then use them to DDoS. Very surprised PSN didn't have a better protection against it.

mauricioq

You should really look more into it before posting... DERP is a group of kids that are in no way "hackers". I read about it on hackforums, someone even got one of their real info's and confirmed they are children. How is that possible? Everyone can buy a RAT and infect a few thousand computers then use them to DDoS. Very surprised PSN didn't have a better protection against it.
Yeah, it's an easy process and as you said, PSN should have been prepared for it, but you're forgetting the other servers that went done.
This attack was also aimed at other games...
There's kids on the group, but I'm sure more experience people are behind this too.

orz

I really don't understand how you can just accidentally take down something that different to what you were initially intending to do. Either way I hope it ends here.

Linkzelda41

Oh man, the words “accidental” and “hackers” mixed together is really hard to comprehend considering that attacks would be prevalent just so there’s some giggles for elitists.

And with the similar stories that seemed to have a more negative conclusion rather than something comical, I’m wondering how intense their punishment will be if they presumably took responsibility for the downtime.

baracksyndel

DERP are hackers because they constantly attack servers and secure systems. I mean what are we defining hackers as? Is it just groups like Anonymous? Because to me, hackers are people who infiltrate systems that have nothing to do with them and that's what DERP did. They maybe kids but that doesn't mean that their not hackers. The fact that this seems to be a mistake doesn't make it any better. It just shows that their immature and not as skilled as they think.

DrRipley

It's a good thing that it was just taken down and no passwords were at risk. I'm all for keeping "the man" on their toes and I'll admit that having these people around is a good way to do so, but I am only against their actions when their fun starts to come at the expense of the consumers especially when the action is seemingly senseless.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!