• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Gran Turismo (PS1)

Jellyfish

First part of the series and the start of it all. It came with graphics that looked realistic like nothing before, many, many cars of original brands, a lot of tuning options, not that much tracks and a great career mode.

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
Ah yes,the one that started it all.
I had this on PS1 and loved it,then GT2..awesome PS1 games at the time.

The Nightmonkey

I had a modified PS1 at the time and somehow ended up with the Japanese edition. Trying to navigate the menus was a huge pain in the ass. I had figure it out from the icon pictures. It was also the first simulation racing game I had ever played (before that I was playing Ridge Racer) and it was such a harsh wake up call as it took me a long time to learn how to properly handle a car. The Supra RZ was particularly hard car to drive fast.

amazingone

I had this game too. It was the elite racing game back in the day. Did anyone complete this game? If I remember correctly, it took forever to finish.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
Shoutouts for the Classic Game Room choice, pretty good chanel, everyone should have it subscribed.

And yeah, even though i played Gran Turismo 2 a hell lot more, i still found the first one to be pretty nice.

E.Honda

I played this game for hours on end and loved every minute of it. I remember going after the licenses challenges and just doing them over and over again until I achieved at least a silver rating on every single one. I loved the Formula 1 car and would just eat people alive using it going head to head because I knew all the tracks inside and out. I have no doubt that I could spin a Gran Turismo disc right now and still kick most anyone's tail in a head to head race. Racing simulator's are very engrossing and this is the best one ever made and a high point for Sony and video gaming in general.

robbiepayne97

My Dad bought Grand Turismo 1 and 2 both combined at two separate times for like $100. I play both games sometimes though.

lindbergh

I didn't think that this type of game was even possible. Car customizing, precise handling, beautiful courses, they just blew my mind at the time. It was the closest thing to actual driving and I loved every bit of it. I felt like I could also actually drive myself.

Last edited:

CpmPanda

This game is the only reason I will play a racing game. I played it on PS1 because it was a 3d game and I didn't care. When GT2-5 came out, it's like they learned x1 million about what would make the game even better. No copy and paste stuff in GT :D

daimashin

One of the first game I bought on the PS1. I remember that I didn't know how to play the game because of how different it was than the SNES racing games that I played. I almost rage quit on the game because I thought it was so damn hard to turn.

Haymansafc

I used to switch between TOCA Touring Car Championship and Gran Turismo! Myself and my best friend at the time used to literally waste entire weekends with these and sadly, he did eventually end up being the better racing driver when it come to the second and third game.

Gran Turismo did blow my mind of what was possible in a racing game at the time. It was the first proper 'simulator'. Only four or five years prior to it's launch, I was playing 'Hard Drivin'' on the Sega Megadrive... The leap forward in quality is truly enormous and I seriously doubt we’ll see that sudden and huge level of improvement again.

I even remember my first car in Gran Turismo and I always kept it throughout the game. It was a 1990 metallic beige Nissan Primera saloon! I won a surprising amount of races in that car.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Ah Gran Turismo. I spent countless hours playing this game. I think it was the most played game of the PSX era for me. Got GT2 and played that just as much. Same with 3 and 4. Though GT5 for PS3 didn't hold my attention for more than a month (though definitely a great game) and GT6 I haven't picked up. Still, after all these years, I still think it looks damn good. Jaggy but damn good. I remember thinking that games couldn't get more real ever. Though I was also 11 I think :)

dannyboy

This was one of my favorite games and this was the game that got me into racing games in general. I rank this and the Need for Speed series among the best racing games out there.

Tomba

Gran Turismo and Ridge Racer are favorite racing games. Turismo was one of the first games I've ever played and I loved it at the time.

SpaceTiger

I could not stand Gran Turismo. It was the racing game that made me dislike racing games by and large--Cruis'n USA and Cruis'n World were my favorites, but that was just about it. Gran Turismo was also the first PSX game I ever played.

jstep7262

Ah, memories! I remember picking up GT2 at the midnight launch for it. I was soooo excited for it to come out and couldn't wait to get home and play it all night!

terryp1202

I remember when Grand Tourismo first came out. Everything about the game exuded excellence. The graphics, the sound, control, the licensed vehicles and the whole nine. I remember sucking terribly at the game as well! I'm really enjoying this section of the forums.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements