• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Games later released for PlayStation 2 or 3

Joker99352

What's with the games that were exclusives for other consoles, but were later released for PlayStation consoles? The first one that comes to mind is Mass Effect 2, which was originally only for the Xbox 360 (and then PC). Why not release those games for all consoles at once if they aren't owned exclusively by Microsoft, Nintendo, or someone else?

In the past, it seemed to be the other way around: several PS2 exclusives would eventually be released for other consoles, such as the GameCube (which, for a while, was the only console I had). Is it a licensing thing, or is it just difficult to program games for different consoles?

Haze

I really have no idea. Maybe because (and I'm using Mass Effect 2 as an example here) there was enough gamers on the PS3 who were interested in ME2 and BioWare saw a profit/more sales? Again, I'm not sure. Would love to know why though as well.

lindbergh

Uhm, Resident Evil 4 was originally for Nintendo only but also found its way to the PS 2 because of its popularity. The graphics were a bit uglier than the Nintendo version but it had secrets and other goodies exclusive to Sony. And it turned out to be the greatest game of the series as well.

Last edited:

SS42A

The Final Fantasy series pre-VII also has its roots in its exclusivity to Nintendo. Square Enix (then Squaresoft) and its partnership with Nintendo during the SNES era was very profitable such that every Square game was released on the SNES to the exclusion of other consoles, from Chrono Trigger to Secret of Evermore. It was only during FFVII's release when Square decided to develop for Sony due to Nintendo's limitations at that time.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
The only thing i am remembering right now, aside from Mass Effect, would be No More Heroes, that was first released as an exclusive for the Nintendo Wii, but then ported as an exclusive for the PS3 with more stuff.

DrRipley

The Final Fantasy series pre-VII also has its roots in its exclusivity to Nintendo. Square Enix (then Squaresoft) and its partnership with Nintendo during the SNES era was very profitable such that every Square game was released on the SNES to the exclusion of other consoles, from Chrono Trigger to Secret of Evermore. It was only during FFVII's release when Square decided to develop for Sony due to Nintendo's limitations at that time.

Agreed, I think FF was a lot better once it was on the PS1, but I wouldn't really be the right judge for it since I wasn't really terribly addicted to the previous installments of the title.

Another one I remember just off the top of my head would be Castlevania. I believe that was a franchise that was solely Nintendo's at first, then ported to Sega and eventually to the PS1 (SotN) which was my most favorite version.

lindbergh

The reason why Final Fantasy was a lot better on the PS1 because of the graphical leap from 16-bit games to 3D. The FF games on the Nintendo systems prior to the PS1 were all in 2D so we were wowed by the fact that FF featured fully polygonal characters and beautiful CG cinematics.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements