• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Gaikai + Playstation = Backwards Compatibility and Devices!

RxCxDietrich

TL;DR summery below xD

So now that the PS4 is out, I'm wondering how many people here are thinking about the cloud service Gaikai that Sony acquired. I have yet to get one myself, but I've always been a fan of everything going digital and being played off the cloud. I loved what OnLive was trying to do for cloud gaming and I know it's not very popular now it still served the purpose of showing it can be done. I have many reasons to be excited again because with Sony getting their hands on that technology it'll be possible to completely forget about the dreaded "Backwards Compatibilty" question that comes with each successive generation of consoles. On top of that, this quote from President of Sony's Worldwide Studios for Sony Computer Entertainment Inc Shuhei Yosida, from Japanese publication Dengeki Online (translated into English)
“Speaking of the ultimate goal, we would like to deliver PlayStation games to all devices. So we’re considering various things like PC, TVs, Blu-ray players, smartphones and tablets. We hope to continue to expand not only to Sony devices, but even to devices other than Sony’s.”
shows that we might not even have to worry about wondering when there will be a PS5. Can you imagine that in the next 10 years as games get bigger, better, and prettier, all we'll have to do is buy the game and play it on your system of choice, no hardware upgrade required?

Now, on the flip side of this, I know a lot of people like their physical goods. Many people who enjoy collecting niche games (myself included, others who want to be able to choose what to do with their owned games. My question to them is would you rather keep needing to buy more hardware for each generation just so you can own your physical goods? If so, would it make it easier to accept digital if you were able to sell them back to the cloud/other users like you could with the disc based games?

And one last argument with this is if all of this was to happen, then it would become an online only system/service. Now I'm not one to say "Deal With It" but in my opinion I think going digital and cloud is the way to go, but it's only an opinion. Are there ways that Sony/Gaikai could cater to both in the next decade? If so what would it take for people to at least give it a chance?

I can't wait to hear everyone's opinions!

TL;DR Excited for cloud gaming but I acknowledge not everyone is ready to embrace it.

Last edited:

desarijulian

I'm not really interested in Gakai or the cloud but I can see the appeal to it. But I'm more than willing to play the wait and see game. If it works the way that Sony claims that it will, I'm pretty sure that we'll eventually phase out of manufacturing physical discs. Until then, I like my hardware.

DrRipley

In my opinion, it is inevitable, especially since the tech market is homogenizing at a fast pace. Soon, phones will be as powerful as laptops, and since they all have bluetooth, companies can just offer exclusive controllers instead of consoles. They are selling their consoles at a loss now anyway, so this may be in their best interest, although, aside from the controllers, I wouldn't know how else they would set themselves apart if they do decide on it.

TheDarkDefender

Cloud service is awesome and I'm so happy it exists cause when my ps3 croked, my save files were safe. I hope sony utilizes cloud in every possible way (without f'n it all up of course)

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
KMJ_84 PS Now: Gaikai site redesign reveals potential game prices PlayStation 4 9
johnny0531 Playstation Media Remote Pair with Marantz Receiver PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
DestroyRepeat How to tweak recommended settings for PlayStation 5 PlayStation 5 0
DestroyRepeat How to use your old PSN account on PlayStation 5 PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Unboxings of PlayStation 5 are here PlayStation 5 0
Carlos First Look at the PlayStation 5 User Experience PlayStation 5 1
W What Happens To All The Disc-based Games I Have If I Buy A Digital PlayStation 5? PlayStation 5 6
Carlos An up-close and personal look at the PlayStation 5 console hardware PlayStation 5 1
N HELP - Playstation 5 and a Media Room Question. PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Sony announces PlayStation 5 Release Date, and Price PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 Launch Event Livestream PlayStation 5 1
Carlos PlayStation 5 Launch Event scheduled for September 16th PlayStation 5 0
D PLAYSTATION 5 PRICE IN INDIA - WE FOUND IT WITH RIGHT REASONS PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Sony reveals PlayStation 5 Box Art styling PlayStation 5 6
M I would like playstation 5 able to stream live with camera PlayStation 5 3
Manveer A Man Playstation Home on PS5 PlayStation 5 6
Carlos 2nd PlayStation 5 Livestream PlayStation 5 1
Preach2k Playstation 5 PlayStation 5 1
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) - PS5 EVENT HAS BEEN CONFIRMED FOR THIS THURSDAY ! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 Games to be revealed on June 11th PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 Games to be revealed on June 4th PlayStation 5 4
Preach2k CONCEPT Sony Playstation 5 introduction!! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 Controller Revealed PlayStation 5 2
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 Dev Kit Demo | PS5 Graphics | PS5 Home Screen Reveal | AMAZING! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 Reveal Livestream PlayStation 5 0
Carlos PlayStation 5 to be revealed tomorrow! PlayStation 5 6
Preach2k Playstation 5 new design introduction (Concept)! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) SONY is NOT Taking Any RISKS This Year ! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 Details REVEALED | Sony PlayStation 5 High End GPU Cooling & Next Gen Console Pricing Details! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PlayStation 5 To be Unveiled Soon! PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Preach2k PS5 console reveal LEAKED by Sony Developer! (PlayStation 5 News) PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PLAYSTATION 5 ( PS5 ) REVEAL DETAIL SOON ! / DESIGN LEAK - UI / PSVR 2 2020! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 PlayStation 5 Trailer - ALL CONCEPTS PS5 by VR4Player! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5: Everything We Know About PlayStation 5 So Far! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 | First World Wide Look At The Playstation 5 Design! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 PlayStation 5 Trailer - Concept Design V5 - Welcome to the future of Gaming - VR4Player ! PlayStation 5 2
Preach2k Shocking PS5 Power & Price Advantage | Next Generation Xbox Series X vs. Playstation 5 Specs Leaks! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k 2020 - The Year of the PlayStation 5! PlayStation 5 1
Preach2k Playstation 5 controller -Trailer DualShock 5 Concept Design! PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Preach2k PS5 | HUGE PlayStation 5 Rumor | NEW Ps5 ONLY Games | Should Sony Have Cross-Gen | Ps5 News! PlayStation 5 0
Preach2k PS5 new controller LEAKED! What is this?? (PlayStation 5 News) PlayStation 5 Accessories & Peripherals 0
Preach2k PS5 News - Sony will release 2 PlayStation 5 consoles! PlayStation 5 4
Preach2k PS5 Controller Performance and Gameplay Upgrades! (PlayStation 5 News)! PlayStation 5 0
Carlos Sony confirms the next console is PlayStation 5 PlayStation 5 1
Carlos Next Gen PlayStation console confirmed PlayStation 5 1
Carlos New PlayStation Classic Ad PlayStation Legacy 1
Carlos PUBG is coming to PlayStation 4 in December PlayStation 4 1
Carlos Full List of PlayStation Classic games announced! PlayStation Legacy 1
Z PlayStation Network and Facebook PlayStation 4 2
Carlos PlayStation Classic announced! PlayStation Legacy 1