• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Finally over PS5 FOMO

I'm over wanting to buy a PS5, at last. This system seemed too good to be true for the price, and it apparently really is... too good to be true. Gran Turismo 7 with both it's always online requirement and all the microtransactions totally made me indifferent to the PS5. I might buy a dual sense though ... for myPC.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
"Too good to be true"? What is this? Its not like Sony is scamming you.

The problem isn't the system. The problem is the games. Its basically the same issue as PS3. Obviously, we're still in this pandemic.

Horizon Forbidden West is out now, but its a cross-gen game, Gran Turismo 7 is out now, but its a cross-gen game. And I think it will take at least 2 more years until we get games FOCUSED on PlayStation 5.

They want to sell enough copies of that game, before we get focused PS5 games. But the scarcity of PlayStation 5 is preventing Sony from developing focused PS5 games.

I'm currently waiting for the scarcity to die off, and we get a steady stream of games that take advantage of PlayStation 5.

I disagree here. If Sony didn't want always online or microtransactions of this magnitude, they wouldn't be here. Last gen they bragged about their games not having always online requirement, and look what this has evolved into now. Granted, it's only one game, but they are clearly testing what players are willing to endure, especially on microtransactions, and that is a bad sign.

Also, the chip shortage has, in combination with scalping now locked a lot of people out of buying a PS5 for roughly 1,5 years. At this point, if I still wanted a PS5, I might wait for the PS5 PRO. Sure, it isn't even announced yet, but do you seriously think this isn't coming?

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I disagree here.
Disagree about what?
If Sony didn't want always online or microtransactions of this magnitude, they wouldn't be here. Last gen they bragged about their games not having always online requirement, and look what this has evolved into now. Granted, it's only one game, but they are clearly testing what players are willing to endure, especially on microtransactions, and that is a bad sign.
I agree here. Everything you said. I really wish they kept the business model of GT Sports. Its "half-effort" for microtransactions. They are late to the party around this microtransactions and/or DRM wall.
Also, the chip shortage has, in combination with scalping now locked a lot of people out of buying a PS5 for roughly 1,5 years. At this point, if I still wanted a PS5, I might wait for the PS5 PRO. Sure, it isn't even announced yet, but do you seriously think this isn't coming?
Yeah. That's what I spoke about. I kinda agree on the PS5 Pro idea. I expect a Pro model, but I don't see it THIS soon. The reason why PS4 Pro was released, is 2 reasons:

1. Developers were complaining about PS4's specs being throttled. That x86 architecture was not fully utilized. New games from PS4 Pro's launch was not taking advantage of the specs. And still doesn't. We were also going forward to 4k. So, the 4k in pro? Checkerboarding, kinda like this new DLSS tech that creates this illusion of 4k high resolution visual.

2. To test the market. To prolong the generation a little.

Disagree about what?
I meant about Sony not scamming us. I think this is a scam... or at least highly unethical.

I kinda agree on the PS5 Pro idea. I expect a Pro model, but I don't see it THIS soon.
The PS5 launched with the horsepower of an RTX 2080. At roughly the same time RX6000 and Ampere were released, with about 60-80% more performance. The PS5 kinda has to stay in that same place. This is the game Microsoft and Sony are playing now, with fast processors, SSDs and GPUs. This fall, the new GPUs will roughly double rasterization performance again (unless all the leaks are false). Sony kinda has to make a move.

Carlos

Owner
Staff member
I meant about Sony not scamming us. I think this is a scam... or at least highly unethical.

The PS5 launched with the horsepower of an RTX 2080. At roughly the same time RX6000 and Ampere were released, with about 60-80% more performance. The PS5 kinda has to stay in that same place. This is the game Microsoft and Sony are playing now, with fast processors, SSDs and GPUs. This fall, the new GPUs will roughly double rasterization performance again (unless all the leaks are false). Sony kinda has to make a move.
I'll keep this grouped, you answered it separately, but still relevant.

To go beyond the RTX 2080, would be a bad move when it comes to price.
Do you realize the MSRP of RTX 3000 hovers around the $500 mark? Black Market (second hand) prices are double that, at least during pandemic. The second-hand prices are beginning to drop to at least MSRP price, but you never know if it's going to rebound.

What I'm saying is, the 2080 design of GPU for PS5 is perfect for the time. However, the rumor is that PS5's next [major] model will have double GPU's. There's a patent for that design. The other rumor is, that particular model will cost premium, which will make PS3 look tame in comparison.

PS3 cost $600 plus tax. PS5 is $500 plus tax, but Sony will move MSRP's when all said and done: PS5 console at $400, PS5 Digital at $300, then the new model - $500 or better competitive price.

Last edited:
Oh, I fully expect the PS5 PRO to be around 650-700 bucks. No arguments there.

On a side note, VRR on the PS5 is bad. It is late and AFAIK it's locked to BRAVIA TVs, another "pro consumer move" from SONY, surprise, surprise. Since I no longer own a TV, I'd like to use the freesync on my monitor, but no, apparently not.

Edit: I looked into it more and it seems that Sony has broadened it's VRR support to other TVs as well, but freesync monitors still seem to be out of luck. Yeah...

Last edited: