• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Do you think the Steam Machine can compete with the Playstation 4?

daimashin

At CES 2014, Alienware unveiled their version of the Steam pc/console thing and the comments are that this machine is going to be the end of the Playstation 4. Personally, I think it's going to be a competition but it won't come close to the console giants. What are your thought on this? Do you think that the Steam machine is going to be a threat to the Playstation 4?

Haze

Honestly I don't think so as there have been many consoles that have threatened they are taking down the competition. Anybody remember OnLive?

Liquid_Scarab

To be honest I have trouble seeing who the Steam Machine is aimed at. People who want to game on PC will usually build/buy a rig, people who want a console buy a console.

I get the whole gaming on TV thing, but PCs can already do that. Plus with there being a range of specs and differing machines, you still have all the negatives that come with PC gaming ( certain games not running at desired settings, having to upgrade components to keep up to date etc). I know many PC gamers don't see these as negatives, but I do, and its one of the reasons that I choose to game on consoles rather than PC.

The controller on the other hand looks very interesting and seems to have some genuinely good ideas which may convert well to the console market in the future.

Gumby

I have been watching the Steam Machine since I first heard about it. I agree with the above post about why I console game. When I was a PC gamer I was so tired of upgrading my system whenever a new game came out. At least with console gaming you know when you put that disc in its going to work with no upgrades. The big thing they advertise is the Steam Machine is upgradable like a gaming PC so it's going to keep people like me away who don't want to upgrade it all the time and it's not serious enough of a gaming PC to interest the high end PC gamers. I think it's trying to be too niche market.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Liquid said it very well. Only time I really game on PC is because I get games cheap off Steam. I also prefer FPS on PC. I don't think the Steam Machines will be much of a threat to the consoles. If people want to do PC gaming, they'll game on their PC. Don't see them ditching their 3000 dollar PCs for a Steam Machine. The end result is the same. Plus the Steam Machines seem to me like rebranded computers with Steam's OS installed.

RobDaCool

To be honest I have trouble seeing who the Steam Machine is aimed at. People who want to game on PC will usually build/buy a rig, people who want a console buy a console.

I get the whole gaming on TV thing, but PCs can already do that. Plus with there being a range of specs and differing machines, you still have all the negatives that come with PC gaming ( certain games not running at desired settings, having to upgrade components to keep up to date etc). I know many PC gamers don't see these as negatives, but I do, and its one of the reasons that I choose to game on consoles rather than PC.

The controller on the other hand looks very interesting and seems to have some genuinely good ideas which may convert well to the console market in the future.

It's true. Alienware Steam machine! Same as the Dell Steam machine only twice as expensive...like their PCs lol

baracksyndel

It depends on what audience their targeting. Depending on the price, I have no doubt on my mind that if priced correctly the Steam Machine could do great because unlike the Ouya Steam has access to games that people want to play. Steam knows what their doing, and they've been in the game as a service for a long time. It might be rough for them at the beginning but I don't see why they can't carve out a niche for themselves.

daimashin

You guys reminded me why I never game on the PC. I never liked having to tweak the settings to get optimize experience and these Steam machines are exactly doing it like PC. I game solely on consoles is because I don't have to fiddle with the settings for the game to work best. I just put the disc in and play.

orz

The main thing the Steamboxes have going with them is that they're really the only pre-assembled PCs with half-decent hardware and at a decent, fair price. Hardware-wise the 13 Steamboxes blow the Xbox One and PS4 out of the water.

sambarnes90

Without a doubt yes.

Steam machines are really the perfect mix between a high powered PC and a games console.

Seriously, I think they're going to be very successful. Especially considering the way that Steam has dominated the digital delivery market in gaming for so long.

I think the idea is that they provide the pick up and play aspect for people who are happy to do that, along with all the customisations available on a real PC.

It's such a clever idea, and being a big Steam fan, I'm sure it's going to do well.

Maybe wait for a few slightly cheaper models to appear though before investing :p

caspaaa22

As someone who doesn't have access to a console but wants to play console games, I disagree. I got steam after downloading the software to connect my ps3 controller to my computer and started playing ps3/mac crossover games with it straight on my laptop. It's more convenient when traveling, all you'd need is your laptop and a USB connect controller. So from that perspective, I can see why steam itself is ideal, but in terms of the steam machine, I'm not so sure like you said. Although it's marketed well, I feel like Xbox and Playstations have secured their grip on the console market.

mauricioq

Yes, I do.
Steam is growing stronger each day, millions of users online each day, with great sales, and a awesome community, if the console is graphically comparable to the PS4, it will be more popular.
But that's just my opinion. :p

daimashin

The problem I see right now with Steam is that there are too many variants. The average gamers they are targetting are not tech savvy like PC gamers that build their on rigs. Currently there are machines announced priced from $499 to $1600, I mean what is this? We buy a PS4/X1 is because they have standardised hardware, we know that everyone's getting the same thing and all games will work.

dean290000

All the experts said Android phones/Tablets didn't stand a chance against Apple because of the variety of specs. The truth is you would be crazy not to keep your eye on the steam consoles and keep an open mind. I gave up PC gaming around 15 years ago but with Sony trying to rape people with Angry Birds and pretty much requiring PS+, I think the Steam consoles have a better chance against the Fat Cat console makers who want $60 for every game and then at least 4 $10 DLC packs with major releases. The price to upgrade hardware is not such a big deal compared to the cost of games.

Steam will need time to get standards together and get the big screen TV interface working 100% with all the games.

Steam will be a force but it is hard to compete against the 1st party of Sony, MS, and Nintendo. However, once Steam gets their console established and has games that I am interested for a good price, It would be hard for me not to pull the trigger on getting one.

The real key is how fast they can get their act together and become a choice over a console.

No matter what your opinion is, this is good for the gaming industry. The more choices we have the more competitive the market will be.

Linkzelda41

If you’re talking about short-term and transient competitive nature, I feel the Steam Machine may be a rival. This is because people that have the cash will be curious, especially if they used Steam before, on the capabilities of the Steam Machine. But if you’re talking about long-term rivalry, that’s highly improbable simply because of its limitations compared to the other next-gen consoles. If a person has a lot of money to shift hardware and such, then they may as well just stick to a PC in the first place.

shisangyeol

I don't think the Steam Machine has a real impact on the steam community. I would think that the PC community already has superior rigs and builds, and are comfortable with upgrading their own "battlestations" whenever they want to. I would guess that the audience for the Steam Machine is the group of very loyal steam fans, and of course steam employees. Steam players already brag about how great their PC is compared to home consoles, I don't think they would back down and sell out so easily and buy the Steam Machine. As for PS4 vs Steam Machine, I feel like the two audiences don't even compete with each other. A lot of PS4 fans already have their own PC consoles, and those who don't, aren't really interested or invested in PC gaming. If anything, maybe the Steam hipsters will be all over this. You know what I'm talking about, those people who put down home console gaming and say that PC gaming is superior, but all they really play are those short-lived indie games and minecraft.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
I don't think the Steam Machine has a real impact on the steam community. I would think that the PC community already has superior rigs and builds, and are comfortable with upgrading their own "battlestations" whenever they want to. I would guess that the audience for the Steam Machine is the group of very loyal steam fans, and of course steam employees. Steam players already brag about how great their PC is compared to home consoles, I don't think they would back down and sell out so easily and buy the Steam Machine. As for PS4 vs Steam Machine, I feel like the two audiences don't even compete with each other. A lot of PS4 fans already have their own PC consoles, and those who don't, aren't really interested or invested in PC gaming. If anything, maybe the Steam hipsters will be all over this. You know what I'm talking about, those people who put down home console gaming and say that PC gaming is superior, but all they really play are those short-lived indie games and minecraft.

Must say. That was well said. I have to agree with you.

dean290000

I still think Steam Machines have a chance down the road with the new big screen overlay designed for TVs. Look, I have owned an IT company for 15 + years and can build PCs in my sleep. I gave up on PC gaming because of the fact that you get a new game and load and it even though you have dual Radeon GPU unit running, the damn game says Sorry but this only runs on Nvida chipset. The power of the console is that everyone has exactly the same specs. The games just run even if you do have to download the initial patch.

There are plenty of games that were exclusive to the PC that never made it to the PS3 or was 360/PC only.

It would be so nice if Steam has a whole bunch of games for a low price that can compete with 95% of the PS4/Xbone games.

I will never go back to being a PC gamer. I know I can connect a PS3/360 controller to the PC these days but you need to hook up a decent computer box to your TV to have a real gaming machine and that takes up space and I really hate running a mini tower in a cabinet in the home entertainment center due to heat and dust.

The Steam machine solves many of these problems by having a console sized device and if they can just get the variety of steam machines built with decent minimum specs then it could be close to a console in compatibility and have a helluva a lot more power.

I guess I am only saying I am willing to give it a chance. Maybe it will end up just replacing PC gaming for the most part but if it starts getting a lot of good reviews on the internet and people see games look better on the Steam machines then I still think it is at least a dark horse to challenge the consoles down the road.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements