• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Do You Feel The PS2 is Dated?

Tomba

The PS2 isn't dated. It's aged very well and some of the better known games have as well. It's the most straightforward, uncompromising console in the PlayStation line besides PS1. It's like "Do you want to play games? Yeah? Then sit down and play some games." No "I'm gonna watch TV, I'm gonna browse the internet, I'm gonna see what my friends are playing, I'm gonna play with them online."

And that's why I love it.

HydraForce

The Playstation 2 is certainly not dated. As Tomba said, it's aged extremely well and it wasn't even until earlier this year that it finally stopped being made. The Playstation 2 had one of the best game libraries we've seen so far, and most of the games were incredibly top notch. Some of the games on the original Playstation 2 also had AMAZING graphics for their time. Okami is a prime example. I'm actually planning on picking up a Playstation 2 if I can find a new one, which I'm positive my gamestop still sells them. Then, gonna go back and play aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall my old Playstation 2 games on the actual console, so I can really enjoy it without having to worry about slowdowns from emulators.

SpaceTiger

The PS2 has aged very well. It's not dated, it's seasoned. I still have mine and I've been enjoying some of the RPGs and the GTAs on it. These GTAs actually had everything GTA IV should've had more of. Also the PS2 is extremely dependable. I've only had one broken PS2 and I managed to fix that myself.

HydraForce

The PS2 has aged very well. It's not dated, it's seasoned. I still have mine and I've been enjoying some of the RPGs and the GTAs on it. These GTAs actually had everything GTA IV should've had more of. Also the PS2 is extremely dependable. I've only had one broken PS2 and I managed to fix that myself.
A bit off topic, but I have to agree with you on that GTA4 statement. When GTA 4 came out, I was so damn disappointed that just about everything that made San Andreas so amazing was ripped from the game. The small RPG elements, the interesting vehicles, the crazy locations, the random easter eggs. All for what? So I could watch someone throw a coffee cup on the ground and pick it up myself, then throw it in the trash? Bah.

But yeah, back on topic, the PS2 definitely was a super tough machine. The only time I actually broke one was the old Fat PS2. I had it sitting on a high shelf and accidentally tripped on the wire, causing the system to fall while the disc tray was out. Completely snapped it off and I was devastated. Cried for hours, but to be fair, I was only a young'in.

DrRipley

I agree, it's definitely not dated. The games are still very much playable, otherwise they wouldn't be remaking FF10 or Devil May Cry for HD, not to mention probably a few titles that even made it on to the PSP which are still very playable today. The only thing that's dated about it is that the games aren't in widescreen, in my opinion.

SpiralArchitect

Well considering the fact that a lot of really awesome games won't run on the PS2, it is safe to say that it is definitely dated. Not a slight on it of course because for my money the PS2 remains one of the most revolutionary consoles of all time and I still play a lot of games on it. Yes, even now in 2013.

Last edited:

Tomba

A bit off topic, but I have to agree with you on that GTA4 statement. When GTA 4 came out, I was so damn disappointed that just about everything that made San Andreas so amazing was ripped from the game. The small RPG elements, the interesting vehicles, the crazy locations, the random easter eggs. All for what? So I could watch someone throw a coffee cup on the ground and pick it up myself, then throw it in the trash? Bah.
Getting back on GTA IV for a quick moment. I thought I was the only one who noticed that part of the game. The RPG elements being removed was notable and should've actual been improved in IV. The thing that also bothered me was amount of money you could just accumulate. Normally in mission you didn't need to go to AmmuNation because someone would've dropped a good gun eventually, so you just...walked around with a wad of cash. It's like technically you accomplished the idea of the story by having six figures+.

It was still a beautiful game with plenty of fun missions. There was some stuff I didn't need and a lot of stuff I wanted, but it was the first GTA IV where it felt like you were a living part of Liberty City instead of just playing in it.

SS42A

The PS2 will always have a place in my heart as the best game console. There are other more advanced consoles than the PS2 as well as better games, but they just don't have any of my favorite games on that console. FF10, Dynasty Warriors 4, Soul Calibur 3, Manhunt, GTA:VC and SA, etc. are some of the games which will make me play the PS2.

jbepp

No way, the PS2 will always be my favorite console. It has a huge game library, and many of those are still awesome compared to today's standards.
FF, Tales of, Okami, Persona, SMT, GTA: SA, etc.

Stuck_X_Button

It's not dated, it's seasoned.
This. If it was dated it would be near useless.

It's the most straightforward, uncompromising console in the PlayStation line besides PS1. It's like "Do you want to play games? Yeah? Then sit down and play some games." No "I'm gonna watch TV, I'm gonna browse the internet, I'm gonna see what my friends are playing, I'm gonna play with them online."
This 100% it was a simpler time of no leader boards, trophies, achievements, and all of that. You sat and you played a game. That's it. It was also more accommodating to actual, in the room, intense social gaming. Playing Tekken right next to each other or a fun shooter with split screen while talking smack the whole time. The memories.

mauricioq

I still play it! haha
I love to replay the stories from Ratchet and Clank, Jak, Shadow of Colossus, Metal Geral Solid...
And I still have lots of fun! :p

SpaceTiger

I love to play Snake Eater every once in awhile. I break out the PS2 for some Dragon Quest VIII regularly. I have a bunch of bad, budget PS2 games that I'll sit and attempt to play just to test my thresh hold for them. A little Evergrace here, some Unlimited Saga, maybe Future Tactics.

Esperahol

Yes I still play it, and yes I find that many games have aged very well. The thing about the PS2 is that unlike the PS3, 360, or new-gen consoles it focuses only on gameplay - single gameplay at that. So many of the things that set to date newer games doesn't exist for these. So much fun.

aperture7

Of course it's dated. But do I still play it? Is it classic? Absolutely! The Warriors is one of my favorite games in the world.

RaggaJungle

I don't see the PS2 as dated really. I suppose I do in some way because PS3 has obviously been released for a long time now, and PS4 is emerging just now. I think PS2 remains a classic console no matter what. The game titles and time spent gaming on it can not simply be forgotten about! Every PS has it's place in the hall of fame in my opinion.

Coinsbee

It's "dated" as far as math goes, but it's still pretty impressive when you consider its age. There are some pretty advanced 3D games by today's standards, even if the polygon count is not that high and the textures are kinda blurry. Plus it isn't the graphics that matter, it's the gameplay. And there are some classics I wouldn't mind playing for the rest of my life.

corporatenoun

In some ways it is dated. Games are larger, longer, and more graphically intense than ever. Thanks to the PS2 and other popular consoles, gaming grew from sub-mainstream to a full blown cultural phenomenon. As a result, more money is being poured into development, and the results are quite staggering. In the end though, you will still get plenty of quality gaming experiences with the PS2, and your enjoyment will rarely be diminished by the appearance.

Titan

Sniper Kitten
Staff member
Do you still play your PS2? Is it still fun to play and have the games aged well?
From time to time yes. I won't flock to it every day but if I'm feeling nostalgic I'll throw in a Battlefront game or a TimeSplitters game. On a side note, I threw in Battlefront 2 like a month ago, got curious to see if people still played online and it was good to see others still played it too :D

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I I feel a bit embarassed PlayStation 4 0
H NFS Rivals: Anyone feel like they got lazy? PlayStation 3 1
troutski How would you feel about zombies in GTA V? PlayStation 4 9
S Sh1kage is my psn ID. Feel free to say hello Introduce Yourself 4
Esperahol I don't know how I feel about this... Wii U 10
unwittyoneliner What do you feel about motion capture becoming more prevalent in game development? Other Gaming Talk 5
unwittyoneliner Do you feel that horror games are too formulaic? Other Gaming Talk 11
Esperahol How did you feel about the ending of The Last of Us? PlayStation 3 7
Esperahol Do you feel like you'll ever trust Microsoft again? Xbox 2
D Do You Feel The PS4 Will Be Too Expensive? PlayStation 4 15
G How do you feel about PSN after these attacks? PlayStation 3 10
Titan PS2 Slim multitap PlayStation Legacy 0
I Anyone game with a PS2 game on the PS4? PlayStation 4 7
Oberon 8 PS2 games arrive on PS4 with 1080P/Trophy Support PlayStation 4 5
deathbyprayer Game recommendations for the PS2 PlayStation Legacy 16
jbeavis100 PS2 Castlevania Games PlayStation Legacy 1
ajally123 PS2 Memories! PlayStation Legacy 14
Derri Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (PS2) PlayStation Legacy 0
Dytropia Most memorable set of PS1/PS2 games? PlayStation Legacy 7
lindbergh Did your PS2 scratch discs? PlayStation Legacy 20
KMJ_84 PS4 to get PSone and PS2 support with native 1080p rendering, new VR demos inbound PlayStation 4 1
jstep7262 Rumor: PS4 slated to geta PS1 & PS2 emulator PlayStation 4 29
nealbo What is the strangest Playstation (PS1/PS2) game you've ever played? PlayStation Legacy 11
SeanM Weirdest Rumour You've heard about the abilities of a PS2 PlayStation Legacy 0
D Most Overrated Game On PS2 PlayStation Legacy 24
D Easiest Games On PS2 PlayStation Legacy 14
daimashin Add on fans for the PS2 slim. PlayStation Legacy 3
Titan PS2 Online PlayStation Legacy 8
daimashin Your PS2 is Phat or Slim? PlayStation Legacy 31
D I had PS2, 360 then PS4Can you help? PlayStation 4 1
D How Often Did You Use Cheats For PS2 Games? PlayStation Legacy 17
DPatel304 Any Culdcept lovers here [PS2]? PlayStation Legacy 1
Sora Best Games for the PS2? PlayStation Legacy 16
DrRipley Memorable Cheats In PS1 & PS2 PlayStation Legacy 8
lindbergh PS2 vs the Dreamcast PlayStation Legacy 35
A Did you ever play any PS2 game online? PlayStation Legacy 18
D PS2 vs PS3 PlayStation Legacy 10
lindbergh What was the best Silent Hill on the PS2? PlayStation Legacy 0
lindbergh Odin Sphere - the last great 2D platform game on the PS2 PlayStation Legacy 2
lindbergh Tourist Trophy - the best bike racing game on the PS2? PlayStation Legacy 5
N Best PS2 Game was Star Wars Battlefront 2 PlayStation Legacy 3
D Best Sports Game On PS2? PlayStation Legacy 5
lindbergh Charlie's Angels (PS2) PlayStation Legacy 2
crazyduck Driv3r (PS2) PlayStation Legacy 11
Jellyfish Baldurs Gate (PS2) PlayStation Legacy 7
W PS4′s pre-orders outstrip those of PS2 and PS3 PlayStation 4 19
NatureSun Do you still own and/or play your PS2? PlayStation Legacy 28
unwittyoneliner What's your favorite cart racing game on the PS1/PS2/PSP? PlayStation Legacy 6
FFX_Yuna1 Which PS1/PS2 game/series would you like to see remade in HD? PlayStation Legacy 24
LuckyPupil Your Favorite PS2 game PlayStation Legacy 42