• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Did you play Destrega for the PS 1?

lindbergh

The PS 1's library of fighting games was dominated by Street Fighters and Tekkens. But that doesn't mean that there's no other great fighting game aside from these two franchises. Destrega is an example of a fighting game that is not well known but is great nonetheless. It featured a unique fighting system which allowed fighters to attack each other no matter where they are in the big arena. It's like Dragon Ball meets Power Stone. Couple that with great graphics and you've got one killer fighting game.

Have you tried playing this before?

lindbergh

Okay man, here's the intro CG movie of Destrega plus a bit of gameplay footage that I got from YouTube:
As you can notice, the fighting gameplay is very unique if you take into consideration the console that it was released in. The arenas were huge. Fighters could fire long range attacks from anywhere. Close range attacks were available too. It was so cool at the time.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
HELL YEAH, THIS GAME IS GREAT!

And then i got the full game and the story mode was bad, really bad.
But then i played versus mode AND IT WAS THE BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER, DAMN THIS IS A BETTER DRAGON BALL THEN THE DRAGON BALL GAMES AT THE TIME!

lindbergh

HELL YEAH, THIS GAME IS GREAT!

And then i got the full game and the story mode was bad, really bad.
But then i played versus mode AND IT WAS THE BEST FIGHTING GAME EVER, DAMN THIS IS A BETTER DRAGON BALL THEN THE DRAGON BALL GAMES AT THE TIME!

Ahaha, yeah, the story mode sucked so bad. It was so cheesy. The voice acting was awful. The story seemed like it was written by a grade school student. But boy, the fighting mechanics was something special. Dragon Ball games were too slow. This is how a Dragon Ball game on the PS1 should have looked like. Destrega made it very easy to dish out attacks and movement was fast and fluid.

Jellyfish

Okay man, here's the intro CG movie of Destrega plus a bit of gameplay footage that I got from YouTube:
As you can notice, the fighting gameplay is very unique if you take into consideration the console that it was released in. The arenas were huge. Fighters could fire long range attacks from anywhere. Close range attacks were available too. It was so cool at the time.

That looks interesting indeed. I guess you are not that limited in this game as in normal beat em ups like Tekken.

lindbergh

That looks interesting indeed. I guess you are not that limited in this game as in normal beat em ups like Tekken.

Yes you aren't. The movement in Destrega is much more free-flowing as compared to most fighters. The only chink in the fighting system of Destrega is the hand to hand combat. Once you are in close range, you only have a few attacks at your disposal unlike Tekken where you can perform a lot of different moves. Also, there are no throws in the game. Only punches, kicks and ranged attacks.

Jellyfish

Yes you aren't. The movement in Destrega is much more free-flowing as compared to most fighters. The only chink in the fighting system of Destrega is the hand to hand combat. Once you are in close range, you only have a few attacks at your disposal unlike Tekken where you can perform a lot of different moves. Also, there are no throws in the game. Only punches, kicks and ranged attacks.

Am not sure if I would have liked it then. I am really focussed on "special moves" and throws and all that stuff because my main source for fighting and fighting games was wrestling.