• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Did you like the 2D GTA games?

lindbergh

I'm a fan of the GTA games. I have a blast playing them. I can go to town and start shooting everyone in sight. I could drive from one edge of the map to the other. But I'm talking about the 3D GTA games... When it comes to the 2D GTA games, that's another story. Well, to make everything short, I did not like 2D GTA. What are your thoughts on the first GTA games?

Oberon

, , The Enforcer, ,
I only ever played demo's of them on PS1. Didnt think to much of them at the time..man,how things have changed.

Jellyfish

I really liked them back then and played them for hours but nowadays it's just something to look at every now and then. Can't go back to old standards.

GetFresh

I didn't like them at all. I was even hesitant about getting the newer GTAs because of that. I find that the more recent GTAs are so much more enjoyable, mainly because of the enhanced graphics.

lindbergh

Yeah, this just shows that graphics play an important role in a game. Becoming fully 3D opened up a lot of options that the GTA world could explore and take advantage of. The overhead 2D graphics of the first two games just seemed very limited.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
I really like them, and i must give shoutouts to anyone else that did like them to try out Retro City Rampage, that game is both hilarious and fun to play, really a great experience to try out.

E.Honda

I thought the concept was way beyond what the technology could handle at the time, they had the formula just not all of the ingredients to make it happen like they did with GTA III. The original GTA are really quite simply frustrating games that infuriate you because of its graphical limitations due to the lack of hardware power at the time. They do have a place in video game history but only a very brief mention in my opinion and in name only.

unwittyoneliner

I never played it in its entirety, but I remember playing the demo at store kiosks. It was fun as hell back in the 90s. I only played the first one, never played the sequel. Hijacking a car didn't get tiring at all, though. And running over people.

Ciel

See-Elle
Yes and I miss them more than I should. Last night, in fact, I rummaged through an old box of "stuff" and dug up the original game on the PC.

Haze

I've sadly never played them as I'm not really all into 2D games (blasphemy I know!). I could be wrong, but I believe GTA and GTA II are free on Rockstar's website?

lindbergh

I've sadly never played them as I'm not really all into 2D games (blasphemy I know!). I could be wrong, but I believe GTA and GTA II are free on Rockstar's website?

Yup, GTA and GTA II are being distributed for free in the website of Rockstar. I saw this offer of Rockstar last year but I never bothered getting the games. Though they're considered classics, it doesn't mean that they're good games for me.

amazingone

They were alright for the time period that they were released in but they have not stood the test of time. 2d is so limited for gta compared to what we have in today's games. I don't know anyone who would go and play one of the first couple gta games today. It just doesn't hold a candle to gta v.

Ciel

See-Elle

I appreciate the information! Headed that way now, cheers.

EDIT: The promotion no longer appears to be available.

Last edited:

Haze

I appreciate the information! Headed that way now, cheers.

EDIT: The promotion no longer appears to be available.

Yeah I just had a look and can't find it anymore. But I swear they were there once upon a time!

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements