• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Chunky PS3 Still Overheats?

brad

Well every so often my Chunky decides to overheat on me and like corrupt all my data.. seriously i have lost my data 5 times since i have had it 4 years i keep it well covered etc from the sun but it still overheats.

Any solutions?

Last edited by a moderator:

LuckyPupil

I think your Chunky needs an upgrade. If it keeps crapping out you should just invest in a Slimmy. You can also wait for the new Chunky in November and say goodbye forever to the old Chunky.

lindbergh

Well if you keep your chunky covered with a blanket, it would certainly overheat. What you should do is to put a fan in its fat behind so that it won't get all hot and sweaty. An air conditioning unit also helps.

Last edited:

Joel

Have you tried putting it under a cold tap?

The whole chunkiness of this all has cracked me up. It makes me want to turn around and tell my coworker a story about a chunky but I'm afraid she'll take it as sexual harassment and that's no bueno! I agree with another poster. Save up for 3 months or find a used one for cheap on ebay. Chunkies aren't rare.

Esperahol

You know how laptops have cooling pads? Have you tired investing in one of those for your Chunky? I almost typed chubby just then... this discussion is totally corrupting me. Anyway - I have a cooling pad for my 360 and so far no RROD or anything so I guess it has been very helpful. That said I've never had this issue with my PS3 so I don't know how effective this really will be for you.

amazingone

My phat PS3 would overheat a lot in the final third of its life. The fan would become super loud and actually be an annoying distraction. It served as a nice heater in the winter lol. They should have waited to develop the slim model before releasing the console.

stoudman

PS3's are basically computers, right? When computers overheat, it's usually because of dust. You should get a can of air, open up your PS3 and spray all that dust out of there. With less dust clogging everything up, the PS3 should run better. Also, remember to keep it in a cool place and possibly consider some modifications to add more fans/cooling/ect.

wowtgp

I think your Chunky needs an upgrade. If it keeps crapping out you should just invest in a Slimmy. You can also wait for the new Chunky in November and say goodbye forever to the old Chunky.

Lol yes. You have summed up my thoughts. An upgrade is the only choice here. What better way to upgrade than to buy a next gen console?

RaggaJungle

PS3's usually do overheat because of dust. The first PS3 I owned was always over-heating and crashing. I realised vacuuming it once a week can help keep it nice and clean. Also using a can of pressurised air is a good idea too.

GetFresh

PS3's usually do overheat because of dust. The first PS3 I owned was always over-heating and crashing. I realised vacuuming it once a week can help keep it nice and clean. Also using a can of pressurised air is a good idea too.

I just tried this, and surprisingly it seemed to work! Thanks for sharing.

I've had overheating problems as well. It got really annoying that I actually switch to Xbox for a while.

crazyduck

I have a chunky PS3 and it is fine. If it does get hot then put a laptop cooling pad underneath it. Even though they are for laptops they work surprisingly well. It might also be that I don't have it on for prolonged periods of time. I only play like an hour each time.

TheMac

The most important thing to keep your PS3 from overheating is not to block any vents and definately don't put it on top of another machine (cable box, etc) that also generates heat. If you've done all that, you might also want to consider not using the PS3 when charging your controllers from it.

pxyc

Make sure it's on a flat surface, not a rug. A friend of mine was telling me that his PS3 kept overheating and he wanted me to go check it out. I got there and it was sitting on a rug by a heater. I laughed and moved it to the empty space on his TV stand, and he's had no problems since.

amazingone

Go with the slim. The phattys are way too loud and overheat more. Like the poster above said, put it on a cold surface that won't absorb heat. Use a table top or books instead of a rug or carpet. I do the same thing with my laptops as they are also prone to overheat. Really, though, this is all on Sony for creating faulty hardware. I haven't had console problems like these with my other systems.