• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Awesome PSX openings

Ofnir

I don't really know how to start this topic, I just want us to discuss truly badass or otherwise awesome video game intros for the psx. By intro I mean, uhhh, like the opening movie that usually played for a game when you either pressed star or stayed at the opening menu without pressing buttons. You know, like the attract videos in the arcade. I worded that poorly but whatever, let's share those awesome psx video game openings because the console had a whole lot of them!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6iefr1Z_-k

This is the opening theme to Dragonball Final bout and everytime I hear it and I want to get up and kick a whole bunch of ass. Like, I'll go out and start fighting my cat and it'll be like a DBZ fight, we both phase in and out, firing our different projectiles for several minutes before trading lightning fast blows that cause sonic booms. Then we power up for 10 episodes. Alright that was lame but whatever, the song and video kick ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f4eGQ9MIWM
Suikoden 2's intro is nothing short of epic for one of the most memorable, awesome rpgs ever made. Why isn't this game on the PSN yet?! Don't answer that, I think I know why, but watch this intro and mourn severely if you had your Suikoden 2 disc destroyed or stolen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVOFibwVMw0
Wild Arm's opening is easily one of the best EVER. Straight up fact. Go watch it now. I don't even like anime a whole lot but if there was one based off the style and mode of this intro I would watch the heck out of it. Even if you've never played the game just WATCH IT. Doesn't that just pump you up and make you want to save the world?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbnyhkN96EA

FFT -Job class trailer. This isn't exactly an intro but it plays if you stay at the main menu without pressing any buttons -in the psx version-. The omission of this from the psp remakes is enough to make it automatically inferior. This video is both epic and hilarious, just read some of those job descriptions. Watch the topography!

lindbergh

Nice thread. As far as intros go, I think Final Fantasy 8 is on the top of the list. The music was haunting and the cg graphics were amazing. Squall and Seifer's gunblade duel is pretty cool.

The intro of ff9 is good as well. It's calm and serene. It's not as cool as the intro of ff8 though.

cenarion

Soul Blade had a pretty great intro with an incredibly cheesy theme. More games should do this, haha.

deathbyprayer

Tekken 3 has a great opening too, I remember being a child and popping Tekken 3 for the first time and seeing such awesome and gorgeous graphics and being disappointed when I actually play the game and see box-type characters. Its a great game though don't get me wrong.

Razor

I loved Soul Blade's opening. The awesome thing about the PSX era was that if you didn't hit Start you got a full on video introducing you to the game and stuff. Developers put a lot not just into the game itself, but trying to draw you in on the game with an opening. There was also the computer gameplay of early FPS and fighting games.

Now and days you usually get a splash screen before it restarts, goes through the company credits, and returns to the splash screen.

Ofnir

Speaking of openings, I love how Disgaea 4 actually gives an achievement for watching the attract intro thing.

Tomba

Really? NIS must know that people can't be bothered with the opening video in games for the most part lol.

SS42A

I miss the Wild Arms opening. That game's anme-style opening makes it even epic.

I also recall the Tekken 2 opening where Heihachi returns after he is thrown by Kazuya in the first game. There is a role reversal since Kazuya is now the evil big bad villain after he is possessed by the Devil.

DrRipley

Nice thread. As far as intros go, I think Final Fantasy 8 is on the top of the list. The music was haunting and the cg graphics were amazing. Squall and Seifer's gunblade duel is pretty cool.

The intro of ff9 is good as well. It's calm and serene. It's not as cool as the intro of ff8 though.

I agree. It was the first FF game I played, and I definitely was amazed with the graphics right off the bat, which is what initially made me interested in the game in the first place. As for other intros I liked, I also liked Tekken's intro, as I always do like Tekken's intros anyway as well as all the ending sequences for each player. I think they really do that well and I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow influenced modern intros in some way.

SpaceTiger

I loved the ending sequences for Tekken and their openings were great. I wish I could say they inspired modern intros, but like Razor said most games don't have intros anymore. There's game openings to layout the story (and they're getting longer and longer), but intros to get you hype for the game before you hit start and pick your save those are becoming rarer.

Rusky

It might be a little overdone, but I'll have to go with Final Fantasy VII for this one. I still use that opening theme when I'm running at the gym because it's just such a great 'Get hyped' tune.

cenarion

I just remembered another great opening: Resident Evil 1. Introduces the story, has cheesy narration and is live-action; what more could we ask for? :D

frankmarco

So much memories. That incredible how fast time flies. Maybe I lost my wonder eyes, but we need more intro like these !

Ofnir

I just remembered another great opening: Resident Evil 1. Introduces the story, has cheesy narration and is live-action; what more could we ask for? :D

I wish they still did cutscenes like this and in the early Red Alert games.

terryp1202

I have to jump in and agree on the Soul Blade opening. I thought that was so epic at the time, and it really was. The music was in fact cheesy, but we all thought it was amazing. lol And what teenage boy didn't get excited with the almost nudity during the Sophitia scene?

Another great opening was of course, Final Fantasy 7.

FosterTXT

An awesome PlayStation 1 intro video that I remember is the intro of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2. There is a part where tony hawk does a 900 over this insanely wide gap. It is awesome.

Yorf

Can't post links yet, but I feel like the best opening of all time is the standard PSX system startup. The sound almost gives me the chills :D Also a big fan of the Chrono Trigger PSX opening.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements