• Welcome to PS5Forum - The #1 PlayStation Forum. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? Registration is completely free and will enable the use of all site features including the ability to join in or create your own discussions.

Anyone else hoping that zombie games die down this generation?

sidd230

After last generation being full of damn zombie games, I've been really hoping that they start to go away on the PS4/XO generation. Am I the only one?

HydraForce

No, you are certainly not the only one. I'm getting so tired myself of the same, boring, drawn out Zombies Cliche. It's not unique, it's not fun, and it's not hip anymore. Just about every game now is trying to have some kind of amazing Zombie Mode, which all boils down to "Don't get Dead." and it's just... so over done. I will say I personally enjoyed State of Decay since it had some fun elements and was open world which I liked, but for the other games that are actually story based and STILL linear, those have just got to STOP. Speaking for example, the new game Dying Light coming out looks like an exact clone of Dead Island, only with (And I'm dead serious about this) CLONE-COPIED animations from Mirror's Edge. Seriously, go watch a gameplay of Mirror's Edge, and then watch gameplay for Dying Light. Both use the same animation set, talk about lazy.

Legendoflore

I'm just sick of the zombie genre. I'll still look forward to The Walking Dead games, but zombies for the sake of zombies can go for me. I'M sick of zombie horde mode, I'm sick of zombie gmmicks, I'm ready to pack in the genre all together. Really I just feel overwhelmed because almost everything has a zombie version that is just tacked on and I'm sick of it.

TheDarkDefender

Zombies, oh God, I hope so too though I love zombies it is getting tiresome. Bring back aliens, or hell, other crazy stuff like werewolves and vampires. Nevermind they might sparkle -_-

Haze

I hope so also. I never saw the appeal in the first place, and won't be sad to see it gone.

aperture7

Yes and no. There are a few good ones that I've liked...but that's maybe 1 or 2 percent of all of them flooding the market. So yes, I would like to see them die out to a certain extent.

desarijulian

I think we just all need a break from the genre in general. Just too many tacked on zombie modes, too many lazy games and not enough good ones, and too many games in general. It's like you can't have a game last gen without some kind of zombie horde. Hopefully the fad is over and we'll see it die down.

jbepp

I don't mind zombie games as long as they're not always the same game. I mean Dead island, Dead Rising, etc, they all have the same features (crafting, cars, missions, etc) and yet they feel so bland.
I'd really like something like the Last of Us but with zombies instead of infected people.

BlackSolaris

Professional Escapologist
I think that after Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising, i am good on the zombie department, so yeah, i hope they move one. Now, do you know what would be cool? Aliens!
It's like zombies, but much smarter and more of a overwhelming fear to it considering they are stronger than you, not with zombies where they are just millions and that is their thing.

themarting

i didnt really play many of them last time around. i hope they dont go away altogether. maybe we can get one with MUCH better graphics though as the left for dead series was pretty unrealistic

themarting

I think that after Left 4 Dead and Dead Rising, i am good on the zombie department, so yeah, i hope they move one. Now, do you know what would be cool? Aliens!
It's like zombies, but much smarter and more of a overwhelming fear to it considering they are stronger than you, not with zombies where they are just millions and that is their thing.

are you thinking about call of duty?

Legendoflore

The Last of Us was a great take on the Zombie genre. It had it's on original idea while still keeping the things that we know about Zombies. It was fresh and really needed, though there were some minor issues that I had with the game. It's not such much the zombie genre it's the complete lack of originality, hopefully more devs take a cue from Naughty Dog.

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
When it comes to zombie games... I just wish we got more Project Zomboids and The Walking Deads than Dead Islands and Left 4 Deads. Know what I mean?

Dame6089

I don't really care personally. I don't play games that I don't enjoy. It makes no difference to me that they exist. Who know though, maybe a new trend will come along that people will start making games of.

Vicvillon

Nope, I can agree with you. The whole zombie genre is overworked and overplayed at this point. Of course, if it is a high quality game with a good plotline, I will be able to let it slip. Mostly because I would want to play it. I love good games. ;)

The Unlosing Ranger

Mighty Strike-Out Slugger
I don't really care personally. I don't play games that I don't enjoy. It makes no difference to me that they exist. Who know though, maybe a new trend will come along that people will start making games of.

The new trend will be dogs. Games in which we play as dogs or have dog allies. Yes, I can totally see this happening! So hype!

Legendoflore

The problem is once something is a success you have a ton of developers immediately capitalize on the trend. The 90s gave us the early 90s gave us the platforming clones, let late 90s gave us the bad rpgs, the 2000s gave us the FPS and Zombie games. I want developers to feel free to experiment and give us something new or expand on the genres not bog us down with the same game but different name.

erronousRogue

Even if they do die, it'll probably be just replaced by a different fad this time. We've had aliens, zombies, terrorists and Russians done to death in pretty much every single genre already, to the point where even EA thinks twice about releasing another game with any of them. I'd be fine with companion dogs though.

Maybe guerilla cats or something.

desarijulian

The genre/trends aren't bad it's more that devs just never seem to be that clever when using them. You can still use the trend while stepping outside of the box and we have successful example of that. Zombie games don't have to go away but the typical game does. People want more creativity.

SpaceTiger

I don't think zombie games should go away, just need to tone down on them. The same council of companies that decided "We're gonna make the late 2000s-early 2010s the era of zombie stuff" need to limit it to one or two franchises or something. It's gotten to be too many and very few of them are special.

That said, I can understand why zombies are used as opposed to vampires or werewolves or whatever. Zombies just roam and they'll find you eventually. You have to either go looking for or stumble upon a werewolf or vampire...unless said vampires took over the planet/country.

Get Connected With PS5Forum.com

Like PS5 Forum!

Advertisements